Brief Blog

It's that simple.

Wednesday, September 01, 2004

 
The War for American Independence may be the closest the U.S. has ever been to a "just war". Dern noted that it may not be a just war because the revolutionaries did not comprise a sovereign state, thus breaking one of the tenets of the theory.

At the time, there were two views to sovereignty:

1) The old view -- the King is the absolute ruler, and;

2) The new view, based on Locke's natural law philosophy, the Scholastics, the and republican models of Greece and Rome -- the people and the ruler are in contract. If the ruler grossly violates the contract, he loses the right to rule.

I think The Declaration of Independence came before all the fighting (if not I'm sure they sent plenty of letters explaining their complaints). In effect, the revolutionaries announced their sovereign state and kept the tenet in question.





posted by c.  # 9:07 PM
Comments:
Yes, that's right, the Declaration of Independance was written to declare a sovereign state (and it was before the first fighting of the war). Of course the nation's founders would have fought that war meeting the requirements of just war......this country was founded by lawyer's right??? So, I guess our nation fought a just war over 200 years ago, but hasn't been able to do the same since.
 
Wait a tick, hold the phone! I thought the civil war and World War II were both just wars. Thats what they told me in school and their reasons sounded pretty good. Those weren't just wars?
 
I've heard someone argue that "The War for Southern Independence" was a just war. I can't support their argument. I thought it was interesting they called it something other than the Civil War. I don't know how it could have been fought justly; civilians were targeted by both sides.

Nearly every American thinks WWII was a just war. It's probably because of the sentiment surrounding the holocaust. In my opinion, it doesn't fit the Just War Theory criteria either (see Dern's comment on last post).
 
Hmm, I didn't read any of the previous discussion before I posted. Oh well, I really feel apathy at the moment to this subject, and I also feel a certain amount of guilt because I'm feeling apathetic.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

Archives

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?